Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Doesn't this make good sense? Forget the drugs.

Any thoughtful person who is into running, biking, or has dieted, has probably used some kind of behavior conditioning on themselves. Our crude personal efforts can be effective. Once I taught my dog Johnny, a huge black shepard, to jump through my arms when I held them like a hoop. In fact, he got so good, I could have 4 or 5 people stand in line with their arms held in hoops, and Johnny would jump them all. How did I do it? Behavioral conditioning--using food rewards (for a dog, the best kind) to shape his behavior over two years, from first just walking through my arms, then working up to the dramatic big jump. So here is a cybergame company that has created games that can monitor "focus" and "stress" by tracking a player's performance in a couple of video games. So what? If your kid has an attention disorder, playing the game and getting good at it, will accomplish the behavior modifications that most adults who have some kind of Attention disorder but are successful have mastered on their own. The game includes a helmet that measures brainwaves and thus feeds user response data into the game controller. One mother who tried it, found her son improved his concentration. Game companies are not flocking there yet, but if I had to choose between psychactive drugs for my kid, or a game that would enable the kid to internalize the kind of controls needed to live sucessfully with AD, I would go for games. Attention deficit disorder? Try video games | CNET News.com

No comments: