Sunday, December 11, 2005

NYTimes covers the vlog front

This semester has been a dizzying one for me. I teach online publishing and need to keep up with media trends for that class, obviously. I also teach a class for newbies to our college and the journalism program called "Introduction to Mass Media." I am fond of these classes, especially the Intro to Mass Media because it keeps me on my tech toes. I have to toggle between what is happening in the mass media businesses right now and what the biz will be like in 4 or 5 years when my students will be hitting the employment stage of their lives after they graduate. While I always have some idea of the trends and tech that going to be the next big thing, I don't think I have ever had a semester where tech and its disruptive effects have not only been obvious, but made it into the news and even began to be incorporated into the various mass media businesses so rapidly. I introduced students to blogs and the various media that can go into blogs--audio and podcasts, vlogs--as trends to watch. But in this semester, these tech gadgets and apps moved from something that art and media students fool around with and into mainstream media. Whew. My business as an educator working with tech an media has always been about change, but this change is really coming on rapidly. TV Stardom on $20 a Day - New York Times

No comments: