Wednesday, October 12, 2005

An exercise: the future and what it holds for newsies

Check out this list of subjects that arrived in one of email news alerts today:
  • Los Angeles Times names three top-level editors
  • * Changes in Wall Street Journal size reflect industry-wide problems
  • * Gannett profits fall amid tough ad, cost environment
  • * Bob Edwards enjoying new freedom on satellite radio
  • * Online agencies promise to help citizen photographers get paid
  • * Journalistic blogs to get their own awards
What I see is technology disrupting the status quo. I see the economic models honed during the "Industrial Age" with assumptions about scarcity of resources butting up against an emerging new economy where attention is scarce and where you put something out to get something back (social capital, reputation ranking as revenue generators?) I see blogs as one particular, going from a pariah, rogue technology to an accepted mainstream technology. I see money shifting directly to the "product" and the "producer", cutting out "middlemen" who formerly got into the exchange between audience and content producer because in an industrial age the means of production are expensive and scarce. I am not an economist but as a policy analyst I see where we were. I see where we are going to be. Too bad, just like everyone else, the how we are getting there is only middling clear to me. I will look to my students to get a sense of what they expect, and to the uncertain edge where techs and journalists are meeting to see where the future of news business is. I think the future of news is solid, but whose hands will it be in? Further reading: On "What is a journalist" and what lies in store for journalists: Charles Madigan on Journalism On the future of news on paper.

No comments: