Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Notes from the front--Tehran July 13, 2005

One of the citizen journalists I met at Ohmynews Citizen Reporter Forum is a photojournalist who lives and (tries) to work from Tehran. She sent this message to those of us who know her. It is frightening and shows how quickly repression can work. She is so brave, but cannot publish this information under her name. I am including her letter, but not her name and stuff for fear that it would hurt her. Please overlook her imperfect English, and read about the plight of those who are working for democracy and journalism in Iran, and do what you can do to help.
Hello Myfriends A Legal organization of protest students organized a demonstration to support Akbar Ganji,most famous protest journalist who have been in prison for 62 months and hunger strike since 32 days ago.Mr. Mousavi Khoeeni,the secretary general of the organization(legislator of past parliament) called me 3 hours before demonstration and asked me:what's you plan for 5_7 o'clock ? I told him I will go for demonstration and he told me we will buy some of your photos cause we need them as document ! When I arrived there (infront of Tehran university)there were a big group of protests there , they were singing an old protest song together,police and Basij was trying to dispel people very impolitely. protests started chanting "political prisoners must be freed" and then police attacked and hit them(even women and old people) by electric batons. I was trying to hide my camera and take some photos cause policemen broke several cemras of other photograpghers.they were like wild animals and They detained some protests after hiting. Anyway after 90 minutes hiding ,running and shooting photos the rally finished and I came back home , but Mr.Khoeeni didn't call me anymore ! Today I found out that police has detained him yesterday and nobody knows where is he now ! Unfortunately I can't publish this story and my photos in medias with my name but as a journalist it's my duty to announce what is going on in my country and now I ask you if it's possible write something about these movements in your medias ,Iranian people need international supports!

1 comment:

Milani said...

Hi Barbara,

I received that email and wrote abt it too on my weblog.

http://lutelite.org/phlog